Wednesday, August 04, 2010

"Nothing But Trouble"


This was my very first time reading a Rachel Gibson Romance Novel and I loved it! I'm looking forward to reading other books by this author. Her book reminded me of Julie James' books, although Mrs. James books are centered around the characters in the line of duty of LAW, which is great!

"Nothing But Trouble" was a joy to read! This book really had me on my toes and anxious to see how it was going to play out and end. Of course, my favorite endings are "happily ever after", but for some reason towards the ending of the book, I was beginning to think that things weren't going to be as happy as I imagined. Hence, the reading went by even quicker for me ha!

Characters:
Chelsea Ross- actress, Personal Assistant to Mark Bressler
Mark Bressler- professional hockey player for Chinook, injured in car accident and ended his career
Bo- Chelsea's twin, PR for Chinooks Hockey Team
Jules-Assistant to Chinooks Owner, Bo's man

Chelsea is the main character and I loved her bubbley personality and outgoing whit. She wore bright colored clothes, mostly loose blouses due to her bustline and mini-skirts; she is a short girl 5"1". She is an aspiring actress from L.A. and moves in with her sister in Washington to look for employment while she waits for gigs in acting. Her sister Bo tells her there is an opening to be a Home Health Aide for Mark Bressler, famous but injured Professional Hockey player. Chelsea is no nurse, but she has been a personal assistant for years in Hollywood, so she's accustomed to working for celebrities. She sets off to Marks house the day before she actually is hired to start to meet him and when she introduces herself to him, he is very short with her, rude and tries to persuade her to leave that he doesn't need a nurse..Prior to her meeting Mark, the Chinooks organization tells Chelsea that there is a $10,000 BONUS if she can stay with him for at least 3 months as his track record with Home care nurses is less than a week. She was determined needing and wanting that money badly. They start off bad, but because Chelsea has a peppy attitude and really needs the bonus money she is determined to stay even if he is a jerk-face with alot of money, handsome, an awesome body and angry attitude always; just a mad at the world guy!

Mark is a very unpleasant client and in a sense I don't blame him for feeling the way that he does. I mean come on, the guy was the top hockey player and got into a bad car accident and was lucky to be alive! He understands he survived the accident, but what was worse, surviving the accident, or surviving and not being able to play hockey for the rest of his life? He was divorced, his wife wanted more money and social status, so she married an old man with more money to get her things and get into country clubs, what a joke, but unfortunately there are women like that, so sad! Mark wasn't a nice guy due to one day having everything in the world, to one day waking up and everything is gone from him, everything he loved the game of hockey and his never satisfied wife which he was divorced from for over a year and was over her, no hurt there!

Chelsea begins to work with him, setting up appointments, and not taking no for an answer, she stands up to him and makes him do things that he usually wouldn't do like get up out of bed at times. In a short period of time like a week, he's already having fantasies of Chelsea which is something he hasn't had in a long time. They both start noticing each other and are easily attracted to one another although each one tries to deny and fight the feelings.

She falls in love with Mark Bressler and they have a great time together, but in the back of her mind she knows she needs to tell him about the $10,000 Bonus they offered her at the beginning of her assignment. The day she was planning to tell Mark that she wasn't really interested in the money because she wanted to stay of her own will because well she fell in love with him it was too late! Mark had an appointment with the Chinook Organization and they told him about Chelsea's Bonus! He was furios filled with anger and couldn't wait to get home to let her have it. They argued and she tried to explain to him that yes at first she was doing the job for the $10,000 Bonus but after working for him everything changed because she loved him, actually fell in love with him which she was trying to stop but couldn't help herself,. In her whole career as a personal assistant she never mixed her professional life with her social life and with Mark it was different. She had it bad and told him she loved him! He laughed in her face and told her she was lying and stop acting. She told him "you made me love you even when I knew it was a really bad idea. You made me love everything about you. You made me love you more than I've ever loved anyone in my whole life." That was no act! She really loved Mark and he was standing before her making a mockery of her sincere feelings towards him! Man, I hated Mark at that point in the book UGH! She never pleaded with any other man and said, "I love you." "Mark looked into her eyes and pounded the last nail into her heart, " I don't love you." Aww. man was that good stuff or what...I was crying during that part in the book. I mean BLIMEY, the woman is pouring her heart out to him and he just sits there and doesn't even care! I don't know if I would go to the extreme as Chelsea did, but he was roughten. Granted he was hurt, but he should have known that she was not acting, it was the real deal..
I lost hope in the relationship at that point. She was miserable for days...The story gets even better but lets just say you have to read it to find out how it ends.

I really enjoyed this book. I was really emotional and I could see how Chelsea was so distraught as Mark Bressler tore her heart apart! Then I sit back and think, are these relationships worth it? Does having your heart ripped and torn to pieces really make the next relationship better or have you learn something from it? I felt for Chelsea and shed some tears of sisterhood with her..

Thank you for the great Romance NovelRachel Gibson. I will definitelty read your other ones...A real roller coaster of emotions, gotta love it!

3 comments:

Rowena said...

LOL, gotta love it! Mark Bresseler was the bomb. I loved his broken self and watching him and Chelsea grow closer together, man that was such fun!

So...what did you think of that one scene in the bathroom or was it the closet? hahahahahahaha. You know which scene I'm talking about, haha.

Haven said...

Love her book and will definitely read her other books. Romance Novels are the bomb.com fo sho!

Rowena said...

There are plenty more so let me know when you want to book swap again and I'll get those books together for you.