Sunday, October 21, 2012

"HIT AND RUN TURNS INTO HIT AND FOUND"

I was on my way home from work and I'm almost home, driving on the street and having the right of way, out of nowhere a car that was at a stop sign decides to cross the street and hits me on the passengers side. I'm driving my moms old green van and I'm so thankful I had no passengers with me this day. The impact was so hard, that I go swirving over the curb, my left tire goes flat and I can't go anywhere, I'm stuck in traffic. I had my seat belt on so I was safe. The passengers side of the car is smashed in and the sliding door window is shattered. I get out of the car because it smelled like there was something leaking from the engine. Sure enough, liquid was leaking from under the engine.

I saw the police nearby and waved them over letting them know I was just hit. The man who hit me drove his car across the street. I couldn't see his face, but I saw that he got out of his car, so I assumed he would cross and come and exchange information with me. Boy was I wrong, as soon as he saw the police, he got back in his car and left. I pointed him out to the police before he decided to leave the accident scene. The police tried to catch him, but he was gone. They came back to me and I gave them all my information and they said the man who hit me took off and they did not find him. Disappointed, frustrated and angered were my feelings, but for some strange reason, during the whole ordeal, I was calm and professional, not one cuzz word came out of my mouth (patting myself on the shoulder)..haha.

So I call my insurance company INFINITY and they take my report and I let them know it was a hit and run and I need road side assistance to get my car out of traffice. The agent tells me they can't get me a tow truck because it was an accident and they aren't authorized to do clean ups involving accidents. At this point, I'm furious, but still trying to be calm over the phone. I tell the agent, I need a tow truck you are my insurance carrier and you're telling me I can't get assistance, so what is the need for insurance if you can't help me? I said so what should I do call 911 and tell them I need a tow truck? She told me they do not handle accidents and she wouldn't be able to get me a tow truck. Almost feeling totally defeated, I tell her that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, so my insurance is only good for Road Side Assistance and not when I'm involved in an accident? She tells, me I'm sorry but we won't be able to get you a tow truck..I was very upset with my insurance company and they haven't heard the last of me yet.

So, I call my sister and luckily she lives 2 minutes away and she came to help me find a tow truck to tow my moms car out of traffic. So as I 'm waiting for the tow truck, a man in his late 50's or 60's is walking fast, he passes the van, and runs onto the street where the shattered glass is and picks something up off the road. I'm looking at him and thinking what is he doing, there's nothing but glass on the street. He proceeds to walk towards me and I"m thinking really, what on earth is he doing? Feeling a little aprehensive, I step back and he says, is this your car mam, I said YES, were you involved in a hit and run, I said YES, do you have any information from the driver or witnesses, I said NO. Then he flips over this plate and says, here you go mam, this is the license plate of the person who hit you, it was on the street. My heart flipped and my mouth dropped, I said, Bless your soul sir, thank you so much. I asked him, what made you stop and go on the street? He said he was walking and he heard the cars running over something and he knew it wasn't glass, he knew it had to be a license plate or something. He picked it up, and sure enough it was the license plate of the driver who hit me and left the scene.

 Now, I ask you, how random is that? The good samaritans name is Paul and I thanked him and asked him, what made you stop? He pointed up to the sky with his index finger and said, he pormpted me to stop! How amazing is that..IN that instant I knew the LORD was helping me by guiding Mr. Paul to stop and give me the evidence that I needed to find out who hit me that day! What a remarkable and amazing thing that went from a HIT AND RUN to a HIT AND FOUND! I was so thankful that this pedestrian took the time to come on the street and hand me the license plate of the other car. Had he not taken the time to listen to the prompting and go on the steet; I would have never known who hit me that day on Thursday- October 18, 2012.

Touched by an Angel; a work of the LORD! SO GRATEFUL!
The police came back, I gave them the plate and they were able to find the man who hit me and left the scene. They called me and gave me all his information and the rest is being done by my insurance, which is the least they could do since they didn't provide me with any road side assistance- ugh, so frustrating!

The following day, I was calling my insurance to give them all the information of the other driver and in midst of doing all my calls, I found myself in tears and giving thanks to the MAN ABOVE, for preserving my life that day. I came out of that hit and run accident with no bodily scratches, a sane mind, a forgiving heart, and with nenewed spirits to be grateful for the gift of LIFE! I said a silent prayer of thanks for safety, for calming my heart and spirits during the whole incident and for the pedestrian Paul who found the license plates of the other driver. I'm not even mad about it because I know, everything will turn out the way its suppose to in the end. I can't drive my moms car anymore, its too beat up from the accident, but she was relieved to know that I was safe and that the only damage was with her vehicle. What a day it was and I'm grateful to be right here blogging my story in the safe confines of where I"m truly safe - in the HOME! "GOD IS GOOD!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. It's what I needed, especially this sabbath morning. I'm grateful you are safe and grateful to Paul who was prompted to stop and help. Love you dearly cousin. Kita

Haven said...

thanks kita. indeed grateful n i went to work the next day so i wouldnt miss work n not take advantage of the day. life is too short gota be grateful. take care

Rowena said...

God definitely is good. I'm glad that you were able to walk away from the accident and shame on that guy for driving away from the scene of an accident. I hope he learned his lesson.