Tuesday, January 11, 2011


This book got me back and at it again with my reading for the Year 2011. I like to say I got my reading MOJO back haha..It left me for a few months last year. I really enjoy Racel Gibsons books and I've read a few of them.
This time around I 'm just gonna share a few of my favorite events in the book and and a few of favorite quotes that were said. It seems that I sure do give alot of info away after reading books, but I love it because when I go back to read what I wrote, I totally remember everything that went on but I'll try my best to keep it at a minumum haha good luck.
So a brief background about the book. Loch Hennessy is married to Rose Hennessy and live in a small town called Truly. They've been married for years and Loch is a dark haired blue eyed man who has had many affairs while married to Rose. She endures the affairs for years and Loch never leaves her. Loch has an affair with young Alice Jones, 24 year old waitress, who works for him ,at his bar; she has a young 5 year old daughter (Madeline Jones). So Rose can't take the affairs anymore and she shoots and murders Loch Hennessy (her husband) and Alice Jones (the mistress) then Rose kills herself. Very sad story..Loch and Rose left behind a daughter (Meg-10 yrs old) and a son (Mick 5 or 7 yrs old).
One of my favorite parts in the book is when Maddie comes into town to write a book about what happened to the Hennessys,but her real reason was to find out what happened to her mom with the whole affair and to find answers to her childhood and so forth. She comes into town and walks into the bar where Mick is working and they are totally attracted to each other and they can both sense it. I kind of miss that feeling, haven't felt it in years haha, I'm just saying..
Maddie and Mick develop a relatioship and really enjoy each others company amongst other things like when they are in each others face they can't help but let their senses lose control and do what comes natural..a little too much of that, but their relationship was not predicated on the physical attraction alone, they genuinely enjoyed each others company and getting to know each other.. Well each time Maddie would try to tell Mick who she really was, she knew if she did she would lose Mick and he would be so angry at her, but she wanted to be with Mick just a little longer in his presence, and loving him..She ended up falling in love with Mick which is something she had in her Book of Rules that she was not suppose to love anyone being that her childhood she was not really loved by her aunty who took care of her after her mothers death.
I really admired Maddie because although she didn't tell Mick upfront who she was, in the end she really let him know how she felt. She told him finally who she was and she expected Mick to be andgry but he said he was DISGUSTED with her..Now that is a low blow! I think it took some major courage to tell him, I mean she could've held that information from him until he found out on his own, but her feelings for him changed and she loved him, so she did the right thing by telling him that she was indeed Madeline Jones, the daughter of the waitress who was killed by Micks mother..He acted like a typical jerk and said horrible things to her and she let him but then when he down talked her mom, Maddie was livid and shot back at him and told him a few things on her mind and asked him to leave her house..
She saw him a week later and I love what she told him. He said something like I don't even know who you are, and Maddie replied, you know me Mick, you just can't handle who I am! That was good stuff right there. She decided to complete the book which Mick and Meg hated that Maddie was there to dig up all the old bad stuff, but she gave the only copy to Mick and the disk and asked him to read it for himself. She didn't care if he threw it away or burned it, she figured he deserved that much to read it and do with it what he wished.
But before that, what Maddie told Mick was so heartwarming and I really appreciated it. Just shows her personality and her love for Mick.
This is what she said, "I've thought about what I've done since I moved to Truly, and I'm sorry that I hurt you, Mick. but I'm not sorry that I met you and fell in love with you. Loving you has broken my heart and caused me pain, but it made me a better person. I love you, Mick, and I hope that someday you find someone you can love. You deserve more in life than a string of women you don't really care about and who don't care all that much for you. Loving you taught me that. It taught me how it feels to love a man, and I hope that someday I can find someone who will love me the way that you can't. Because I deserve more than a string of men who don't really care about me.
Ok, was that not the most loving thing I heard of so far in 2011.. I love what she told him and she was speaking from the heart..Good gosh, 2 thumbs up Maddie..you're the bestest thus far! I'm gonna end right there.. Alot of events take place in the book and its definitely gonna be a happy ending so find out..Oh and by the way, Mick Hennessy is hot, hot, hot...luv ya Maddie! The End..

1 comment:

Rowena said...

I'm glad you liked this book. Rachel Gibson is one of my go to authors for great contemporary romances. She's fantabulous!